McCowan Residence Modern House Tour

Front Elevation

Triangle Modernist Houses has teamed up with area Realtors to bring yet another recent piece of Modernist Residential Architecture to the public, and I have again worked with the folks over at NewRaleigh to put together an article complete with 60 photographs attempting to capture the essence of the McCowan residence. The article can be found here.

I have also uploaded all the photos here, for your enjoyment and comment. The tour was a wonderful experience, and it’s something I hope TMH keeps doing. These brief tours have provided me a unique opportunity to write about architecture, and I’d like to take it further though I’m not sure how just yet. Being taught by several very talented architects who are also writers while at NC State’s College of Design may be a factor in my enjoyment of writing about Architecture. In fact, on my shelf I have 3 books by 2 of my old professors that I refer to quite regularly for inspiration and clarity at different points in the design process.

As a bonus, Saturday was the first time in recent memory that I met multiple new people in a non-work setting in quite some time…. It was also the first time I’ve had an opportunity to eat at Elmo’s Diner since I left BuildSense! (For the record, I highly recommend the Cinnamon-Apple and Cream Cheese stuffed French Toast if you go. They do serve breakfast anytime.)

This entry was posted in Architecture, Uncategorized and tagged McCowan, Oxide Architecture, Tonic Design Build, Treyburn. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Posted August 7, 2008 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

It was a ‘cold’ space but your eye was there!!! Fucking great pictures. I’m a landscape architect and I don’t think we met (or introduced). I sense you are a like spirit.

2. Posted August 8, 2008 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Dennis, great to meet you. I don’t recall seeing you either, but as you can tell I found myself quite occupied with the building.

Thanks for visiting the site! Hopefully I’ll have much more to come!

3. blulady@comcast.net
    Posted July 14, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Sit down before you read this one. Would you believe there are people in the Southern California area who have torn these kinds of homes down and remodeled for a “Southwest Stucco Special” type of look with pink cement encasing a box with red tile roof?

They used to have many of these dotting all over Beverly Hills, Torrance South, Palos Verdes. I have no idea how many remain. I don’t live in California anymore.

4. Posted July 19, 2009 at 10:40 am | Permalink

It’s crazy, to me, to see how willing people are to tear down one well-designed structure in favor of something picked out of a catalog. Certainly we don’t all have the same tastes, but it is still heartbreaking when I hear stories like with the Catalano House, left in utter disrepair for years and eventually simply bulldozed.

5. Posted December 30, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Hey Rusty,

I just read your post about this home going into foreclosure. What a shame. From the photos you posted here, I can tell this is a truly inspiring home. Hopefully it can be saved or at least end up in the hands of someone who can truly appreciate it.

6. Posted December 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks for checking them out William. It is indeed a shame, but thanks to some passionate folks in the Triangle, we are losing less of these structures than years past. Even at a post-foreclosure price tag, they aren’t for everyone.

Just spent some time on your website, you have some beautiful homes in your portfolio. Are any of those in my neck of the woods?

7. T. Brickle
    Posted March 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

The photography of this home emphasizes the striking effect of sturdy material. From viewing the images, it looks like although your standing on the inside of the home you can still enjoy what nature has to offer.

Thank you for sharing.

8. Posted November 9, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing these photographs & article. The lines of this house are stunning. It’s simplicity and careful use of materials really speaks of how beautiful well thoughtout design can be.

The juxtaposition of nature and modern design makes for an extremely interesting concept as well.